* Believe in dark stars;

dark stars,
dark stars,
dark skies,
dark skies;

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The funeral (Pt. 1), tuesday, february 8, 2011, grammie's 85th birthday

' Reese's Anti-Sadness Squeeze '

          I am beyond proud of my little cousin Reese. She held my hand throughout the entire service, as well as at the cemetery. She told me to squeeze really hard if I started to get really sad. At Emmanuel, she was by my side as I read the Prayers of the People, bringing along a copy of her own. When I stood up, she just kept holding my left hand and followed.
          ‎5-year-old Reese took Communion maturely. Ahead of time we practiced. When it was her turn, she got up, walked up, and did it all on her own. Shy little Reesey. The car ride to the Montrose cemetery with Keri, Ella, and Reese was perfect for that moment.
           Reese protected my readings from the rain inside her coat until we reached the tent. She handed them over, Rev. Matthew called us over to stand with him--Reese still standing strong by my side. She promised back at the church, before the se...rvice, to stick by me and take care of me if I get sad. She said she help me stay strong. I said we would keep each other strong. Psalm felt like any other. But the two prayers I read later with Matthew just started the tears. By the end, Reese and I were both squeezing really, really tight. Though crying awfully hard, she regained her composure back and stood strong for the fam. I am very much looking forward to telling her a decade from now how she actually did participate in Grampa's (Or her 'Great-Papa') funeral service. It was her and I this morning. Against sadness. For the most part, we won. So proud, just so so proud and heartbroken at the same time. In a good way. Grampa, Reese and I did our absolute best to make you proud today. Xoxo.
          Grampa, P.s., so did the entire family, and friends, and neighbors, and more... Everyone would have made you proud.

No comments: